CALL TO ACTION - Update on HB 1862 and Continued Efforts NeededYou can look up your State Representative's or Senator's District (Local) Office using the following website. Your State Representative should be the first legislator listed. The website does not store your information: http://zipstickers.mypls.com/lookup.aspx?cid=200030
When you call your State Representative's District office, please express the following:
- As a constituent and emergency physician in the district, I am calling to ask you to oppose HB 1862 on surprise balance billing.
- I support the intent of the bill to protect patients and end surprise balance billing, but how the legislation does so will devastate my ability to care for patients.
- I ask you to support the amendments from Rep. Kaufer and Rep. Rothman to ensure a reasonable payment level for out-of-network care and an arbitration mechanism to resolve differences between emergency physicians and insurers while protecting patients and removing them from any involvement with surprise balance billing.
- The Rothman amendment improves upon the experience in New York by focusing on any prior contracted rate as the standard for reimbursement to dis-incentivize either insurers or physicians from leaving existing networks. It makes no reference to billed charges to avoid raising costs for patients.
- With the Kaufer and Rothman amendments, I would ask you to support HB 1862. Without these amendments, I would urge you to oppose the legislation as it will allow insurers to decimate existing in-network relationships with emergency physicians and reduce access to care.
When you call your State Senator's District Office, please express the following:
- I would like to meet with the State Senator on the issue of surprise medical billing.
- I anticipate that the State Senate will take up legislation on this issue when it returns in the spring.
- As an emergency physician, I believe it is important to both ban surprise medical billing and maintain balance between insurers and emergency physicians.
- I would like to share with the Senator how similar legislation has worked in other states that can be emulated here in Pennsylvania.
Click on the documents below to learn more about HB 1862 and its impact: