PACEP Recent News
PACEP Call to Action and Other Time Sensitive Information!
1. Just a reminder to please call your State Representative on the balance billing legislation - HB 1862. You can look up your State Representative's district office and email using the following website. Your State Representative should be the first legislator listed. The website does not store your information - http://zipstickers.mypls.com/lookup.aspx?cid=200030
When you call the district (local office), please express the following:
- As a constituent and emergency health care provider in the district, I am calling to ask you to oppose HB 1862 on surprise balance billing.
- I support the intent of the bill to protect patients and end surprise balance billing, but how the legislation does so will devastate my ability to provide care to patients.
- I ask you to support the amendments from Rep. Kaufer and Rep. Rothman to ensure a reasonable payment level for out-of-network care and an arbitration mechanism to resolve differences between health care providers and insurers while protecting patients and removing them from any involvement with surprise balance billing.
- With the Kaufer and Rothman amendments, I would ask you to support HB 1862. Without these amendments, I would urge you to oppose the legislation as it will allow insurers to decimate existing in-network relationships with emergency health care providers and reduce access to care.
If you are willing, ask for an in-person meeting with your legislator to reinforce these points in person, but the call is the vital first step. The links for supporting materials that can be provided to the legislator by email for more details of why the approach we are advocating will work for patients, providers, and insurers.
- PACEP Talking Points
- PACEP Letter on HB 1862
- Summary of NY Report on the IDR Process
- NY Report on the IDR Process
- ACEP Surprise Billing Infographic
Thank you for making these calls and getting your colleagues to do the same before November 15th.
2. "A Payer's Perspective - Evaluation and Management Coding/Billing for Emergency Department Encounters" - FREE WEBINARS: Thursday, November 7 from 3:00-4:00 pm and Wednesday, November 13 from 9:00-10:00 am. As many of you may have heard, PACEP, with the help of PAMED and ACEP, has for the moment successfully fought off a systematic audit and clawback process by Highmark of emergency physician professional services revenue. Part of the process for keeping that momentum going is to collaborate with Highmark on educational and dialogue opportunities among emergency physicians, other interested parties on this issue, and Highmark on the payer viewpoint on billing and coding. To learn more, click here.
PACEP encourages all members to participate in one of the webinars to improve understanding of the payer perspective on these important billing and coding issues.
3. SAVE THE DATES: SA2020 is being held April 1-3, 2020 at the Omni William Penn in Pittsburgh. The Ultrasound Course will be held on April 1st. Stay tuned for additional details coming soon!
4. Nominations are now been accepted for PACEP Awards. Click here to nominate yourself or a colleague. Deadline for submission is December 1, 2019.
5. Nominations are now also open for PACEP Resident Board Representatives. To learn more, please click here. Deadline for submission is December 1, 2019.
6. Leadership Fellowship Applications are now open. To learn more, please click here to complete an application. Deadline for submission is December 1, 2019.
For additional information on any of these items, please contact our office at email@example.com.